- Purpose and Scope
VoxFresh recognises the responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of its’ singers, staff and volunteers.
We aim to make sure this is never compromised, by supporting the VoxFresh team to create a safe space in which singers can have great experiences and reach their full potential.
- When does this policy apply?
This policy applies to all VoxFresh staff and volunteers. It is the overarching policy that links the responsibilities and expectations as a volunteer or staff member to all other policies and procedures. It must be followed when leading, delivering, supporting or taking part in any VoxFresh activity.
- Health and Safety Law
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 sets out the general responsibility that VoxFresh has to protect people from risks to their health and safety, arising out of, or in connection with their activities.
VoxFresh has a responsibility so far as is reasonably practicable to follow the duties set out in the Act and subsequent regulations.
Under common law, organisations and individual volunteers have a duty of care to each other and others that may be affected by their activities. So, as a volunteer or member of staff you have legal responsibility to protect yourself and others who may be affected by our activities.
- Expectations and responsibilities
As a volunteer/staff member you must create and maintain safe and healthy environments for our members, volunteers and other people who may take part in or be affected by our activities. This includes taking reasonable care of yourself.
You must actively promote the health, safety and welfare of all members and volunteers. This means taking all reasonable steps to assess and manage risk whilst keeping a level of challenge.
As a volunteer/staff member you must:
- Promote and manage the health, safety and welfare of everyone involved in the activities.
- Eliminate or reduce – as far as is reasonably practicable – the likelihood of any accident, injury, illness or other incident happening as a result of VoxFresh activities. Do this by establishing and maintaining safe and healthy environments and practices, with adequate control measures in place.
- Promote appropriate and measured risk management. This includes finding the balance between activities being enjoyable and challenging, and activities being safe. It is not possible to remove all risk, as doing this can reduce or remove the potential to learn, enjoy and thrive.
- Be competent to carry out your role. Make sure you understand what is expected of you and let us know if you need reasonable adjustments or additional support. This includes being mindful of your own mental and physical health and wellbeing.
- Establish and maintain effective systems for reporting, monitoring and responding to any emergencies, illness, accidents, injuries or other incidents in relation to health, safety and welfare.
- Make sure all equipment and resources used in VoxFresh activities are safe to use.
- Carry out regular and tailored risk assessments for premises, property, activities and individuals, and use that assessment to decide whether it is safe to go ahead.
Staff members with a leadership role (such as Lead Vocal Coach) will have specific responsibilities in relation to their role.
As a volunteer/staff member you are responsible for making sure your activities comply with this policy. To help you fulfil this commitment you must follow these health, safety and welfare behaviours and the Code of Conduct at all times.
- Be accountable. You must understand what is expected of you and meet your responsibilities by being familiar with and following our policies and procedures.
- Be alert. VoxFresh activities can take place in dynamic environments where things can change quickly. Always be vigilant to ensure that an unacceptable risk to members, individuals or groups does not develop. This is managing the risk.
- Take action. It is your responsibility to take action if you have any concerns about the health, safety or welfare of any individual or group involved in VoxFresh activities. Never assume it is being dealt with by someone else. This includes when assessed risk has changed or increased and needs to be brought under control.
- Set a positive example. As a volunteer/staff member you are also a role model and young people will look to you to see how you respond to and deal with health, safety and welfare issues. Always set a positive example that you would wish them to follow.
- Be honest and open. Recognise and share good practice and report any questions, concerns, difficulties, accidents or near misses to your Lead Vocal Coach – we can always do things better.
5. Contact Details
Kat Penn (Director): firstname.lastname@example.org; [07752 976788]
Main VoxFresh inbox – email@example.com
We are committed to reviewing our policy and good practice annually.